Tuesday, July 17, 2012

And then I fell in love and got stabbed

For those that know me, I have a lot of animals. They are all rescue and I adore them... mostly.  Mostly, I adore them when they aren't chewing on my shoes and peeing on the carpet. The Children, though, have a much greater love for the animals and have taken over the twice daily feedings of both the dogs and cats along with all necessary brushings, tummy rubs, and lovings. Just today, Boy Child came to me, with amazement in his eyes and wonder in his voice, and told me that Oliver (my 20lb German cat), pronounced by him as Aw-LEE-ver, licked him right on his wrist and he pointed to it - Right THERE! The Boy Child then said "I love Aw-LEE-ver! I'm going to make him a bed!" And he proceeded to get his most treasured Cars (tm)blanket, some cat food, and an empty box and made a  fort under my makeup table for Oliver the Cat, who accepted it as his due right. I swear to god, that cat looked at me with superiority and a bit of disdain as if to say, "And why hasn't this been done before?!". During all of this, I'm melting because of the cuteness of Boy Child and the love just shining in his face for this cat.

Leaving Boy Child to his adorations,  I went into the living room, sat down on the recliner, and got stabbed in the back by a toothpick.  It was one of the punji sticks I thought I had confiscated from Blondie earlier in the week. Clearly, as evidenced by the red welt on my lower back (hello, kidneys), I missed several of them.



Conclusion: It's never safe to assume, even after witnessing sappy animal love, that you can just flop into your recliner without getting stabbed. Always check for toothpicks, People. You, and your kidneys, can thank me later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment